Friday, April 11, 2014

11 Banned Books



People who know me well, also know that every now and again I rant about internet cafes that won’t permit me to access the dictionary. For an editor, a really good dictionary is the most essential tool available. I use onelook.com, but most editors have their own favorite, and some publishing houses have a dictionary they insist on. Merriam-Webster is probably the most common choice.

I’m well aware that dictionaries have naughty words in them, but banning the dictionary is hardly a useful solution in my opinion.

Which brings me to today’s blog. Banned books. When the first Harry Potter book was published adults everywhere started screaming that it would cause “the destruction of a generation of children”. I wasn’t convinced then, and time has shown that the prophets of doom were wrong and actually those books had a positive effect, encouraging reluctant readers to attempt to read a full-length book.

So here’s a collection of eleven banned books that should have you scratching your head in confusion. Seven of them were set texts I had to read at school/university and only one of them I haven’t read. All the others I wouldn’t hesitate to encourage anyone to try. (I can’t comment on the one I haven’t read).

Most of them are on my bookshelves at home somewhere. Perhaps I’d better hide them before the grandkids find them. Or maybe not.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Most_Ironically_Banned_Books_Of_All_Time

Helen Woodall
helen.woodall@gmail.com

Helen is available to line edit and/ or content edit fiction and non-fiction. Rates on application.

No comments: