Sunday, December 1, 2013

Old fashioned words we need to reanimate



I came across a list of old words that have been forgotten yet are a lot of fun. Obviously I’m older than I thought, because I clearly remember some of them, including my dear friend snollygoster, the subject of a previous post. http://helenwoodallfreelanceediting.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/snollygoster.html

Does anyone else recognize scurrilous, thrice, or blithering? My dad used to call people “a blithering idiot”.

Uglyography is easy enough to guess. But how about ultracrepidarianism? For those of you who love words, go to: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/oldfashioned-words-that-should-be-brought-back-into-modern-language/story-fniym874-1226768577929
and see if there are some old friends you remember, or new friends you could add to your vocabulary. After all, I’m sure some of you are confirmed librocubularists.


Helen Woodall
helen.woodall@gmail.com

Helen is available to line edit and/ or content edit fiction and non-fiction. Rates on application.

No comments: